Strawberry Ricotta Toast is a delicious yet indulgent breakfast choice that incorporates two totally different ingredients: strawberries and ricotta cheese. It has a unique combination of flavours to create a satisfying blend of sweet and savoury with a sweet caramelised flavour.
Growing up, one of my favourite childhood memories was strawberry picking. We would load up the car and head to the Roscarberry Strawberry Farm where we could hand pick our own strawberries. I can still remember the sweet smell of ripening berries which has never been replicated with shop bought strawberries. We would then make as many pots of strawberry jam as we could so we would have strawberries throughout the year!
Roasted Strawberries V Natural Raw Strawberries
While I adore natural freshly picked strawberries, roasted strawberries brings this recipe to a whole new level. Roasting strawberries brings out the flavour of the fruit in a totally different way. Roasting strawberries is a great way to experience a different flavour combination. Once roasted, the natural caramelised sugars enhance the flavour and aroma of the strawberries and create a much richer, deeper flavour than with raw strawberries. The roasting process also gives a smoky flavour that pairs beautifully with the sweetness of the berry. The texture of the roasted fruit is softer and more melt-in-your-mouth than fresh strawberries. The caramel seeps into the the toast and the ricotta balances the sweetness of the caramelisation.
Why You Will Love roasted Strawberry& Whipped Ricotta Toast
- Simple to make. Once you have all the elements prepared it can be assembled in under two minutes! Make sure the ricotta cream is whipped in advance. The strawberries can be roasted in advance then slightly warmed and drizzled over the toast. Et voila!
- It is special. It may be simple to make but it is pure indulgence on a plate. This is the perfect brunch choice if trying to impress a loved one. But sshhh you don’t have to tell them how easy it is to make!
- Healthy. Because I use organic strawberries and raw honey I know what I am eating isn’t full of preservatives. You can use freshly baked bread or sourdough to add that rustic flavour full of goodness.
- Aesthetically beautiful. Not only does it taste good but it looks absolutely gorgeous! I like to complement the colour of the strawberries with lovely deep blue plates. I also like to pipe on the ricotta instead of spreading it with a knife as it makes all the difference. But hey if you don’t have time the flavour is the same!
Ingredients For Roasted Strawberry & Whipped Ricotta Toast
Strawberries. I like to use locally sourced fresh strawberries. And even better if you get organic strawberries. It makes all the difference to the flavour if they are not frozen or travelled thousands of miles away. These strawberries are from Huelva an hour away from where I am at the moment. Of course you can’t beat Wexford strawberries when in Ireland!
Ricotta Cheese. Ricotta is a creamy whey cheese with a mild nutty flavour which pairs well with fruits. It is also delicious with peaches or figs if you can’t find strawberries.
Cream Cheese and Fresh Cream. I like to add dollop of cream cheese to my recipe as it adds a sense of richness to the flavour of the ricotta. I add a dollop of whipped cream for extra indulgence. You can omit both of these if you want a lighter flavour.
Honey. I love my raw honey. I am so lucky to be able to buy a local raw honey called Honey And Thrive which is as good as Manuka honey if not better. It is rich, thick with a taste of pure blossoms from the Sierra Rhonda. Try and find the thickest honey you can.
Cinnamon. Because of it’s delicate and sweet taste cinnamon goes so well with roasted strawberries to give that extra flavour. You can omit this or add another sweet spice of your choice.
Basil. For me basil is an essential addition. It gives a slight perfumed citrus taste which is utterly divine. And it adds a colour that pops!
Wholemeal Bread or Sourdough. Ok so you can have whatever toast you want but I like thick, wholesome and crunchy! The softness of the topping needs the texture and crunchiness of the bread. Plus the juices seep into the bread to add even more deliciousness!
How To Prepare and Assemble
- First make the whipped ricotta as this needs time in the fridge to stiffen before assembling.
- Then roast the strawberries. These are nice slightly warm but can also be eaten cold.
- Make the wholemeal toast.
- Pipe or spread the ricotta on the toast. I like to pipe the ricotta as it makes it taste more fluffy and mousse like as well as adding height.
- Spoon the strawberries on top and drizzle some of the caramelised strawberry juices.
- Top with fresh basil.
- Drizzle over extra honey if you like more sweetness.
If you like these then I know you will also love these recipesPrint
Roasted strawberry & whipped ricotta toast made by combining two unique flavours of caramelised strawberries & ricotta
250g ricotta cheese
2 tbsp thick honey
2 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp fresh whipped cream
200g fresh strawberries
2 to 3 tablespoons honey
Pinch of cinnamon
fresh basil leaves, for garnish
4 slices wholemeal sourdough
Make the whipped ricotta first.
Place the ricotta, honey and cream cheese in a bowl. Whisk until still.
Fold in the whipped cream and place in the fridge for an hour to stiffen.
Prepare the roasted strawberries.. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
Wash and hull the strawberries and cut them in half.
Place them in a buttered oven proof dish and mix with the honey and cinnamon.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes stirring half way. Leave to cool.
Toast the bread and assemble by either piping or spreading some whipped ricotta onto the bread.
Layer with roasted strawberries and their juice. Garnish with basil leaves.
For a sweeter taste drizzle some extra honey on top. Enjoy!
If strawberries aren’t in season then you can substitute these for peaches
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: Strawberry Ricotta Toast