This recipe for homemade spinach pasta is super easy to make and melts in the mouth when cooked. Made with fresh spinach, flour and eggs you know what you are eating is full of goodness and beats shop bought pasta any day.
Why You Will Love This Homemade Spinach Pasta
- It’s pasta. Most of us love pasta young or old, short or tall. Italian or not. For a lot of us it’s the first meal we tasted or the first meal we have cooked. There aren’t many students who don’t have pasta as the main part of their weekly recipe list. Even for those where pasta isn’t their first love will like this recipe.
- Quick and easy to make. This homemade spinach pasta is made in minutes in your blender. You simply cook the spinach first then add it to the remaining ingredients.
- Hidden vegetable. This is perfect for fussy eaters who aren’t fond of vegetables. You can serve this without a veggie sauce knowing at least there is some veggie in it. But shhh the fussy child doesn’t need to know that yet.
- Can be made ahead. As homemade pasta needs some drying time you can make it the day before and then it’s ready to cook. It takes the hassle out of cooking on the day. It can be stored in an airtight container so you can make it up to a week in advance.
- Freezable. The beauty about this recipe is you can freeze the pasta once it has dried! That means you can have pasta available whenever you like.
- No need for a pasta machine. This pasta dough can be rolled very thinly and cut into strips before drying. You can also use a pasta machine if you want it to be super thin.
Ingredients For This Homemade Spinach Pasta
- Spinach. Use fresh spinach if you can, however, frozen spinach works well too. Make sure you squeeze the excess water out of the spinach once cooked.
- Eggs. I like to use organic hen eggs as the yolk adds to the rich flavour of the pasta. You can also use duck eggs or any shop bought eggs.
- Salt. Himalayan salt is my favourite salt to use for its antioxidant qualities.
- Flour. You can buy pasta flour in specialist cooking or health food stores. Pasta flour makes it easier to work with when rolling, however spelt or plain flour also works very well.
- Olive Oil. Use extra virgin olive oil where possible. By using olive oil the pasta stays fresh for longer.
Rice and Pasta Dishes For You To Try
- Spaghetti With Clams and Prosciutto
- Black Rice Paella
- Thai Crab Noodles
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chorizo Risotto
Easy homemade spinach pasta made in minutes in the thermomix. Made with fresh spinach, herbs and pasta flour it is melt in the mouth!
- 100g fresh spinach
- Handful of preferred herbs (basil or parsley works well)
- 100ml water
- 300g pasta or plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- Place the spinach, herbs and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the spinach, leave to cool then squeeze out excess water. Reserve until needed.
- In a large bowl or blender add the flour, eggs, egg yolk, olive oil, salt, spinach and herbs. Mix until combined. Knead for 2 minutes by hand on a floured ball and roll into a ball. Cover and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out as thinly as you can and cut into strips using a pizza roller. If you prefer you can use a pasta machine for an extra thin pasta.
- Hang up on a rack to dry out for at least 2 hours. Cook in boiling water for 4-5 minutes and serve with your favourite pasta sauce.
You can use this recipe for any pasta shape. It also works really well for lasagne. If making lasagne cook for 3 minutes before adding to the pasta dish.
If the pasta feels too wet when kneading this can be due to the size of the eggs. Simply add extra flour. Likewise if it is too dry add a few drops of water.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: homemade spinach pasta